|By Cloud Best Practices Network||
|October 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT||
Open Data is data that can be freely used, reused and redistributed by anyone – subject only, at the most, to the requirement for attributes and sharealikes (Open Software Service Definition – OSSD). As a consequence, Open Data should create value and might have a positive impact in many different areas such as government (tax money expenditure), health (medical research, hospital acceptance by pathology), quality of life (air breathed in our city, pollution) or might influence public decisions like investments, public economy and expenditure. We are talking about services, so open data are services needed to connect the community with the public bodies. However, the required open data should be part of a design and then integrated, mapped, updated and published in a form, which is easy to use. MaaS is the Open Data driver and enables Open Data portability into the Cloud.
Data models used as a service mainly provide the following topics:
- Implementing and sharing data structure models;
- Verifying data model properties according to private and public cloud requirements;
- Designing and testing new query types. Specific query classes need to support heterogeneous data;
- Designing of the data storage model. The model should enable query processing directly against databases to ensure privacy and secure changes from data updates and review;
- Modeling data to predict usage “early”;
- Portability, a central property when data is shared among fields of application;
- Sharing, redistribution and participation of data among datasets and applications.
As a consequence, the data should be available as a whole and at a reasonable fee, preferably by finding, navigating and downloading over the Cloud. It should also be available in a usable and changeable form. This means modeling Open Data and then using the models to map location and usage, configuration, integration and changes along the Open Data lifecycle.
What is MaaS
Data models can be shared, off-line tested and verified to define data designing requirements, data topology, performance, placement and deployment. This means models themselves can be supplied as a service to allow providers to verify how and where data has to be designed to meet the Cloud service’s requisites: this is MaaS. As a consequence by using MaaS, Open Data designers can verify “on-premise” how and why datasets meet Open Data requirements. With this approach, Open Data models can be tuned on real usage and then mapped “on-premise” to the public body’s service. Further, MaaS inherits all the defined service’s properties and so the data model can be reused, shared and classified for new Open Data design and publication.
Open Data implementation is MaaS (Model as a Service) driven
Open Data is completely supported by data modeling and then MaaS completely supports Open Data. MaaS should be the first practice, helping to tune analysis and Open Data design. Furthermore, data models govern design, deployment, storage, changes, resources allocation, hence MaaS supports:
- Applying Best Practice for Open Data design;
- Classifying Open Data field of application;
- Designing Open Data taxonomy and integration;
- Guiding Open Data implementation;
- Documenting data maturity and evolution by applying DaaS lifecycle.
Accordingly, Maas provides “on-premise” properties supporting Open Data design and publication:
- Analysis – What data are you planning to make open? When working with MaaS, a data model is used to perform data analysis. This means the Open Data designer might return to this step to correct, update and improve the incoming analysis: he always works on an “on-premise” data model. Analysis performed by model helps in identifying data integration and interoperability. The latter assists in choosing what data has to be published and in defining open datasets;
- Design – During the analysis step, the design is carried out too. The design can be changed and traced along the Open Data lifecycle. Remember that with MaaS the model is a service, and the data opened offers the designed service;
- Data security – Data security becomes the key property to rule data access and navigation. MaaS plays a crucial role in data security: in fact, the models contain all the infrastructure properties and include information to classify accesses, classes of users, perimeters and risk mitigation assets. Models are the central way to enable data protection within the Open Data device;
- Participation - Because the goal is “everyone must be able to use Open Data”, participation is comprehensive of people and groups without any discrimination or restriction. Models contain data access rules and accreditations (open licensing).
- Mapping – The MaaS mapping property is important because many people can obtain the data after long navigation and several “bridges” connecting different fields of applications. Looking at this aspect, MaaS helps the Open Data designer to define the best initial “route” between transformation and aggregation linking different areas. Then continually engaging citizens, developers, sector’s expert, managers … helps in modifying the model to better update and scale Open Data contents: the easier it is for outsiders to discover data, the faster new and useful Open Data services will be built.
- Ontology – Defining metadata vocabulary for describing ontologies. Starting from standard naming definition, data models provide grouping and reorganizing vocabulary for further metadata re-use, integration, maintenance, mapping and versioning;
- Portability – Models contain all the properties belonging to data in order that MaaS can enable Open Data service’s portability to the Cloud. The model is portable by definition and it can be generated to different database and infrastructures;
- Availability – The DaaS lifecycle assures structure validation in terms of MaaS accessibility;
- Reuse and distribution – Open Data can include merging with additional datasets belonging to other fields of application (for example, medical research vs. air pollution). Open Data built by MaaS has this advantage. Merging open datasets means merging models by comparing and synchronizing, old and new versions, if needed;
- Change Management and History – Data models are organized in libraries to preserve Open Data changes and history. Changes are traced and maintained to restore, if necessary, model and/or datasets;
- Redesign – Redesigning Open Data, means redesigning the model it belongs to: the model drives the history of the changes;
- Fast BI – Publishing Open Data is an action strictly related to the BI process. Redesigning and publishing Open Data are two automated steps starting from the design of the data model and from its successive updates.
MaaS is the emerging solution for Open Data implementation. Open Data is public and private accessible data, designed to connect the social community with the public bodies. This data should be made available without restriction although it is placed under security and open licensing. In addition, Open Data is always up-to-date and transformation and aggregation have to be simple and time saving for inesperienced users. To achieve these goals, the Open Data service has to be model driven designed and providing data integration, interoperability, mapping, portability, availability, security, distribution, all properties assured by applying MaaS.
 N. Piscopo - ERwin® in the Cloud: How Data Modeling Supports Database as a Service (DaaS) Implementations
 N. Piscopo - CA ERwin® Data Modeler’s Role in the Relational Cloud
 N. Piscopo - DaaS Contract templates: main constraints and examples, in press
 D. Burbank, S. Hoberman - Data Modeling Made Simple with CA ERwin® Data Modeler r8
 N. Piscopo – Best Practices for Moving to the Cloud using Data Models in theDaaS Life Cycle
 N. Piscopo – Using CA ERwin® Data Modeler and Microsoft SQL Azure to Move Data to the Cloud within the DaaS Life Cycle
 The Open Software Service Definition (OSSD) at opendefinition.org
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,089
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 30, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,613
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 30, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,210
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,561
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 29, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,457
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,759
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,282
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,892
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 815
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,347
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,348
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,815
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,994
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,642
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,516
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,798
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,398
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 998
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 29, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,612
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 9,129