|By Cloud Ventures||
|October 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT||
Open Data is data that can be freely used, reused and redistributed by anyone – subject only, at the most, to the requirement for attributes and sharealikes (Open Software Service Definition – OSSD). As a consequence, Open Data should create value and might have a positive impact in many different areas such as government (tax money expenditure), health (medical research, hospital acceptance by pathology), quality of life (air breathed in our city, pollution) or might influence public decisions like investments, public economy and expenditure. We are talking about services, so open data are services needed to connect the community with the public bodies. However, the required open data should be part of a design and then integrated, mapped, updated and published in a form, which is easy to use. MaaS is the Open Data driver and enables Open Data portability into the Cloud.
Data models used as a service mainly provide the following topics:
- Implementing and sharing data structure models;
- Verifying data model properties according to private and public cloud requirements;
- Designing and testing new query types. Specific query classes need to support heterogeneous data;
- Designing of the data storage model. The model should enable query processing directly against databases to ensure privacy and secure changes from data updates and review;
- Modeling data to predict usage “early”;
- Portability, a central property when data is shared among fields of application;
- Sharing, redistribution and participation of data among datasets and applications.
As a consequence, the data should be available as a whole and at a reasonable fee, preferably by finding, navigating and downloading over the Cloud. It should also be available in a usable and changeable form. This means modeling Open Data and then using the models to map location and usage, configuration, integration and changes along the Open Data lifecycle.
What is MaaS
Data models can be shared, off-line tested and verified to define data designing requirements, data topology, performance, placement and deployment. This means models themselves can be supplied as a service to allow providers to verify how and where data has to be designed to meet the Cloud service’s requisites: this is MaaS. As a consequence by using MaaS, Open Data designers can verify “on-premise” how and why datasets meet Open Data requirements. With this approach, Open Data models can be tuned on real usage and then mapped “on-premise” to the public body’s service. Further, MaaS inherits all the defined service’s properties and so the data model can be reused, shared and classified for new Open Data design and publication.
Open Data implementation is MaaS (Model as a Service) driven
Open Data is completely supported by data modeling and then MaaS completely supports Open Data. MaaS should be the first practice, helping to tune analysis and Open Data design. Furthermore, data models govern design, deployment, storage, changes, resources allocation, hence MaaS supports:
- Applying Best Practice for Open Data design;
- Classifying Open Data field of application;
- Designing Open Data taxonomy and integration;
- Guiding Open Data implementation;
- Documenting data maturity and evolution by applying DaaS lifecycle.
Accordingly, Maas provides “on-premise” properties supporting Open Data design and publication:
- Analysis – What data are you planning to make open? When working with MaaS, a data model is used to perform data analysis. This means the Open Data designer might return to this step to correct, update and improve the incoming analysis: he always works on an “on-premise” data model. Analysis performed by model helps in identifying data integration and interoperability. The latter assists in choosing what data has to be published and in defining open datasets;
- Design – During the analysis step, the design is carried out too. The design can be changed and traced along the Open Data lifecycle. Remember that with MaaS the model is a service, and the data opened offers the designed service;
- Data security – Data security becomes the key property to rule data access and navigation. MaaS plays a crucial role in data security: in fact, the models contain all the infrastructure properties and include information to classify accesses, classes of users, perimeters and risk mitigation assets. Models are the central way to enable data protection within the Open Data device;
- Participation - Because the goal is “everyone must be able to use Open Data”, participation is comprehensive of people and groups without any discrimination or restriction. Models contain data access rules and accreditations (open licensing).
- Mapping – The MaaS mapping property is important because many people can obtain the data after long navigation and several “bridges” connecting different fields of applications. Looking at this aspect, MaaS helps the Open Data designer to define the best initial “route” between transformation and aggregation linking different areas. Then continually engaging citizens, developers, sector’s expert, managers … helps in modifying the model to better update and scale Open Data contents: the easier it is for outsiders to discover data, the faster new and useful Open Data services will be built.
- Ontology – Defining metadata vocabulary for describing ontologies. Starting from standard naming definition, data models provide grouping and reorganizing vocabulary for further metadata re-use, integration, maintenance, mapping and versioning;
- Portability – Models contain all the properties belonging to data in order that MaaS can enable Open Data service’s portability to the Cloud. The model is portable by definition and it can be generated to different database and infrastructures;
- Availability – The DaaS lifecycle assures structure validation in terms of MaaS accessibility;
- Reuse and distribution – Open Data can include merging with additional datasets belonging to other fields of application (for example, medical research vs. air pollution). Open Data built by MaaS has this advantage. Merging open datasets means merging models by comparing and synchronizing, old and new versions, if needed;
- Change Management and History – Data models are organized in libraries to preserve Open Data changes and history. Changes are traced and maintained to restore, if necessary, model and/or datasets;
- Redesign – Redesigning Open Data, means redesigning the model it belongs to: the model drives the history of the changes;
- Fast BI – Publishing Open Data is an action strictly related to the BI process. Redesigning and publishing Open Data are two automated steps starting from the design of the data model and from its successive updates.
MaaS is the emerging solution for Open Data implementation. Open Data is public and private accessible data, designed to connect the social community with the public bodies. This data should be made available without restriction although it is placed under security and open licensing. In addition, Open Data is always up-to-date and transformation and aggregation have to be simple and time saving for inesperienced users. To achieve these goals, the Open Data service has to be model driven designed and providing data integration, interoperability, mapping, portability, availability, security, distribution, all properties assured by applying MaaS.
 N. Piscopo - ERwin® in the Cloud: How Data Modeling Supports Database as a Service (DaaS) Implementations
 N. Piscopo - CA ERwin® Data Modeler’s Role in the Relational Cloud
 N. Piscopo - DaaS Contract templates: main constraints and examples, in press
 D. Burbank, S. Hoberman - Data Modeling Made Simple with CA ERwin® Data Modeler r8
 N. Piscopo – Best Practices for Moving to the Cloud using Data Models in theDaaS Life Cycle
 N. Piscopo – Using CA ERwin® Data Modeler and Microsoft SQL Azure to Move Data to the Cloud within the DaaS Life Cycle
 The Open Software Service Definition (OSSD) at opendefinition.org
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, will address the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. How important are public, private, and hybrid cloud to the enterprise? How does one define Big Data? And how is the IoT tying all this together?
Oct. 31, 2014 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,845
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Oct. 31, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,616
SYS-CON Events announces a new pavilion on the Cloud Expo floor where WebRTC converges with the Internet of Things. Pavilion will showcase WebRTC and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices--computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,182
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,266
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridsto...
Oct. 30, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,557
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,065
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP’s Printing and Personal Systems Group, will discuss how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, senso...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,725
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 30, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,170
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics...
Oct. 30, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,569
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,267
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., will show what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He will discuss opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and tec...
Oct. 29, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,541
SYS-CON Events announced today that TeleStax, the main sponsor of Mobicents, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TeleStax provides Open Source Communications software and services that facilitate the shift from legacy SS7 based IN networks to IP based LTE and IMS networks hosted on private (on-premise), hybrid or public clouds. TeleStax products include Restcomm, JSLEE, SMSC Gateway, USSD Gateway, SS7 Resource Adaptors, SIP Servlets, Rich Multimedia Services, Presence Services/RCS, Diame...
Oct. 29, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,635
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 29, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An...
Oct. 29, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,612
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Oct. 29, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,050
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 29, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,122
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce the value of the network in helping organizations to maximize their company’s cloud experience.
Oct. 29, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,084
As a disruptive technology, Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC), which is an emerging standard of web communications, is redefining how brands and consumers communicate in real time. The on-going narrative around WebRTC has largely been around incorporating video, audio and chat functions to apps. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Alex Gouaillard, Founder and CTO of Temasys Communications, will look at a fourth element – data channels – and talk about its potential to move WebRTC beyond browsers and into the Internet of Things.
Oct. 29, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,645
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gigaom Research has been named "Media Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, will also lead a Power Panel on the topic "Choosing the Right Cloud Option." Gigaom Research provides timely, in-depth analysis of emerging technologies for individual and corporate subscribers. Gigaom Research's network of 200+ independent analysts provides new content daily that bridges the gap between break...
Oct. 28, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,953