|By Cloud Best Practices Network||
|October 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT||
Open Data is data that can be freely used, reused and redistributed by anyone – subject only, at the most, to the requirement for attributes and sharealikes (Open Software Service Definition – OSSD). As a consequence, Open Data should create value and might have a positive impact in many different areas such as government (tax money expenditure), health (medical research, hospital acceptance by pathology), quality of life (air breathed in our city, pollution) or might influence public decisions like investments, public economy and expenditure. We are talking about services, so open data are services needed to connect the community with the public bodies. However, the required open data should be part of a design and then integrated, mapped, updated and published in a form, which is easy to use. MaaS is the Open Data driver and enables Open Data portability into the Cloud.
Data models used as a service mainly provide the following topics:
- Implementing and sharing data structure models;
- Verifying data model properties according to private and public cloud requirements;
- Designing and testing new query types. Specific query classes need to support heterogeneous data;
- Designing of the data storage model. The model should enable query processing directly against databases to ensure privacy and secure changes from data updates and review;
- Modeling data to predict usage “early”;
- Portability, a central property when data is shared among fields of application;
- Sharing, redistribution and participation of data among datasets and applications.
As a consequence, the data should be available as a whole and at a reasonable fee, preferably by finding, navigating and downloading over the Cloud. It should also be available in a usable and changeable form. This means modeling Open Data and then using the models to map location and usage, configuration, integration and changes along the Open Data lifecycle.
What is MaaS
Data models can be shared, off-line tested and verified to define data designing requirements, data topology, performance, placement and deployment. This means models themselves can be supplied as a service to allow providers to verify how and where data has to be designed to meet the Cloud service’s requisites: this is MaaS. As a consequence by using MaaS, Open Data designers can verify “on-premise” how and why datasets meet Open Data requirements. With this approach, Open Data models can be tuned on real usage and then mapped “on-premise” to the public body’s service. Further, MaaS inherits all the defined service’s properties and so the data model can be reused, shared and classified for new Open Data design and publication.
Open Data implementation is MaaS (Model as a Service) driven
Open Data is completely supported by data modeling and then MaaS completely supports Open Data. MaaS should be the first practice, helping to tune analysis and Open Data design. Furthermore, data models govern design, deployment, storage, changes, resources allocation, hence MaaS supports:
- Applying Best Practice for Open Data design;
- Classifying Open Data field of application;
- Designing Open Data taxonomy and integration;
- Guiding Open Data implementation;
- Documenting data maturity and evolution by applying DaaS lifecycle.
Accordingly, Maas provides “on-premise” properties supporting Open Data design and publication:
- Analysis – What data are you planning to make open? When working with MaaS, a data model is used to perform data analysis. This means the Open Data designer might return to this step to correct, update and improve the incoming analysis: he always works on an “on-premise” data model. Analysis performed by model helps in identifying data integration and interoperability. The latter assists in choosing what data has to be published and in defining open datasets;
- Design – During the analysis step, the design is carried out too. The design can be changed and traced along the Open Data lifecycle. Remember that with MaaS the model is a service, and the data opened offers the designed service;
- Data security – Data security becomes the key property to rule data access and navigation. MaaS plays a crucial role in data security: in fact, the models contain all the infrastructure properties and include information to classify accesses, classes of users, perimeters and risk mitigation assets. Models are the central way to enable data protection within the Open Data device;
- Participation - Because the goal is “everyone must be able to use Open Data”, participation is comprehensive of people and groups without any discrimination or restriction. Models contain data access rules and accreditations (open licensing).
- Mapping – The MaaS mapping property is important because many people can obtain the data after long navigation and several “bridges” connecting different fields of applications. Looking at this aspect, MaaS helps the Open Data designer to define the best initial “route” between transformation and aggregation linking different areas. Then continually engaging citizens, developers, sector’s expert, managers … helps in modifying the model to better update and scale Open Data contents: the easier it is for outsiders to discover data, the faster new and useful Open Data services will be built.
- Ontology – Defining metadata vocabulary for describing ontologies. Starting from standard naming definition, data models provide grouping and reorganizing vocabulary for further metadata re-use, integration, maintenance, mapping and versioning;
- Portability – Models contain all the properties belonging to data in order that MaaS can enable Open Data service’s portability to the Cloud. The model is portable by definition and it can be generated to different database and infrastructures;
- Availability – The DaaS lifecycle assures structure validation in terms of MaaS accessibility;
- Reuse and distribution – Open Data can include merging with additional datasets belonging to other fields of application (for example, medical research vs. air pollution). Open Data built by MaaS has this advantage. Merging open datasets means merging models by comparing and synchronizing, old and new versions, if needed;
- Change Management and History – Data models are organized in libraries to preserve Open Data changes and history. Changes are traced and maintained to restore, if necessary, model and/or datasets;
- Redesign – Redesigning Open Data, means redesigning the model it belongs to: the model drives the history of the changes;
- Fast BI – Publishing Open Data is an action strictly related to the BI process. Redesigning and publishing Open Data are two automated steps starting from the design of the data model and from its successive updates.
MaaS is the emerging solution for Open Data implementation. Open Data is public and private accessible data, designed to connect the social community with the public bodies. This data should be made available without restriction although it is placed under security and open licensing. In addition, Open Data is always up-to-date and transformation and aggregation have to be simple and time saving for inesperienced users. To achieve these goals, the Open Data service has to be model driven designed and providing data integration, interoperability, mapping, portability, availability, security, distribution, all properties assured by applying MaaS.
 N. Piscopo - ERwin® in the Cloud: How Data Modeling Supports Database as a Service (DaaS) Implementations
 N. Piscopo - CA ERwin® Data Modeler’s Role in the Relational Cloud
 N. Piscopo - DaaS Contract templates: main constraints and examples, in press
 D. Burbank, S. Hoberman - Data Modeling Made Simple with CA ERwin® Data Modeler r8
 N. Piscopo – Best Practices for Moving to the Cloud using Data Models in theDaaS Life Cycle
 N. Piscopo – Using CA ERwin® Data Modeler and Microsoft SQL Azure to Move Data to the Cloud within the DaaS Life Cycle
 The Open Software Service Definition (OSSD) at opendefinition.org
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 29, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,465
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,387
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 29, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,048
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,369
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,959
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,625
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,255
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,892
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 925
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,544
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,930
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,357
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,063
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,633
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,273
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,208
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,444
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,711
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,271